This old home was erected around 1915 to accommodate
the growing family of William and Mary Buchanan. Mr.
Buck (as he was called) had come to the area as a school
teacher and married the local post mistress, Mary Hart.
He later became owner and/or operator of the General
Store, Train Station, Post Office, and Western Union
Office in Green Cove. This establishment became the
supply, communication and storytelling spot for farmers
and youth throughout the area.The pot belly stove, still
in the station, carries many stains of tobacco juice
and is the silent harbinger of thousands of tales.
The old house
provided lodging for numerous school teachers over the
years and Mary kept her fledgling teenage daughters
(and anyone in sight) busy putting together lunches
for the Norfolk and Western passengers and crew who
were in route from Abingdon to North Carolina. It was
a daily chore to prepare 25-50 lunches. Each lunch cost
$.50 and consisted of ham biscuits, fried chicken, fresh
tarts and coffee in a coke bottle. From the 1920's to
the 1960's, Mary maintained this steady support for
the passengers and crew of the N&W and, of course,
most of the food items were home grown. It was not uncommon
for the Virginia Creeper to be snowed in and the travelers
would over-night at the Buchanan home, filling up all
the available floor space.
The house has been completely renovated
and opened to receive its first guests on July 1, 1999.
The three bedrooms are named for the Buchanan daughters:
Adele, LaVaun, and Eleanor; the common room is named
for Clarice, the youngest daughter.
Among our goals for the Inn is to restore
some of the hospitality of yesterday and bring to
all who pass by a warm place of charm and relaxation
Copyright 2004 O. Winston
All rights reserved.
The photographer, O. Winston
Link, was a frequent visitor to the Buchanan house and
to the Green Cove Station. In 1984, he was married to
Conchita Mendoza at the station, behind the weighing
scales. He returned to Green Cove in 1991 when the station
was presented to the Forest Service for historical preservation
as a gift from the Buchanan family. His last visit came
in the fall of 1999 when Preservation Magazine sponsored
his visit to photograph him in the same location of
his famous image, Old Maude Bowing to the Train
. At that time the stairwell of the Buchanan Inn
was dedicated to O. Winston Link. Visit the web site,